Sunday, February 13, 2011

yoga for kids








Most of us have heard of the benefits of yoga: relaxation, increased concentration, improved self-regulation, physical strength, flexibility, and coordination...the list goes on.  Practicing yoga has done so much for me personally that last summer I was inspired to get my teacher certification from
Karma Kids Yoga so I could share the gift of yoga with kids.  This past fall I put my training to the test with the 2 and 3 year olds in a preschool class.  We had a blast going on "yoga adventures" and playing "yoga games." The experience was invaluable (for all of us).  I was so impressed with the way these little guys focused on their poses and used their breath to calm their bodies.  They even loved Savasana, which was truly amazing to me given how wiggly they were at nap time!  Sometimes I would lead yoga formally with yoga mats and a dedicated block of time.  Other times I would casually incorporate yoga-inspired strategies into their daily routine (stretching and breathing during group meetings and transitions).  After a while, I would catch some of them spontaneously practicing poses or doing breath work.  It was pretty awesome.  I recommend finding a way to incorporate yoga into your home or classroom...your kids will thank you (and you'll thank yourself).

Note:  Don't be discouraged if kids don't participate right away, some of the most interested kids in the class I worked with started off as passive observers.  A lack of participation doesn't always translate to a lack of interest:  they might just be taking it all in before they are willing to test it out for themselves.  Persistence is key!

Yoga Recess, an awesome yoga non-profit, offers free kids yoga resources for school teachers.

Some SF Yoga Studios offering Kids Yoga Classes:

569 Ruger Street 
The Presidio, San Francisco
415.561.0900

Yoga Garden of San Francisco
286 Divisadero St.
San Francisco, CA 94117


415.552.9644

Some additional resources:

Namaste,

L

No comments:

Post a Comment